Postdoctoral Fellow University of Toronto
Ph.D. Chinese University of Hong Kong
B.Eng. Harbin Institute of Technology
Dr. Yu received his B. Eng. degree from Harbin Institute of Technology (2014), and his Ph. D. degree from Chinese University of Hong Kong (2018). He worked as a postdoctoral fellow in Chinese University of Hong Kong (2018 - 2019), and subsequently in University of Toronto (2019 - 2020). Dr. Yu’s research interests mainly locate in micro/nanorobotics and medical robotics.
Dr. Yu has been extensively working in swarm control of micro/nanorobots, including their fundamental modelling, actuation strategy, motion and reconfiguration control, and biomedical applications. Since 2017, he has first-authored 7 top journal papers, including Nature Communications, IJRR, T-Ro, T-Mech, and ACS Nano. Several of his journal papers have been indexed as ISI highly cited papers, and have been highlighted in Science, Nature and international press reports, such as CNN. He has also published 1 monograph and several papers on well-renowned international conferences, including ICRA and IROS.
Dr. Yu won several impactful awards, including Nature Communications Top 50 physics articles (2018), T-Mech best paper award finalist (2020), CUHK Postgraduate Research Output Award (2018), Hong Kong Young Scientist Award shortlist (2018), the First Prize of International Bionic Innovation Competition (2019). He served as a guest editor for Frontiers in Robotics and AI, an associate editor for International Conference on Ubiquitous Robots 2019, and a reviewer for top journals and conferences, including T-Ro, T-Mech, RA-L, ICRA and IROS.
- L. Zhang, J. F. Yu, and L. D. Yang, Micro- and Nanorobots: From Individual to Swarm (in Chinese), Science Press, 2020.
Selected Journal Publications: ( * denotes co-first authorship.)
- J. F. Yu*, D. D. Jin*, K. F. Chan, Q. Q. Wang, K. Yuan and L. Zhang, Active Generation and Magnetic Actuation of Microrobotic Swarms in Bio-fluids, Nature Communications, Vol. 10, Issue 1, 1 - 12, 2019.
- J. F. Yu, B. Wang, X. Z. Du, Q. Q. Wang and L. Zhang, Ultra-extensible Ribbon-like Magnetic Microswarm, Nature Communications, Vol. 9, 3260, 2018. (ESI highly cited paper)
- J. F. Yu, L. D. Yang and L. Zhang, Pattern Generation and Motion Control of a Vortex-like Paramagnetic Nanoparticle Swarm, International Journal of Robotics Research, Vol. 37, Issue 8, 912-930, 2018.
- J. F. Yu, T. T. Xu, Z. Y. Lu, C. I. Vong, L. Zhang, On-demand Disassembly of Magnetic Nanoparticle Chains for Microrobotic Cargo Delivery, IEEE Transactions on Robotics, Vol.33, Issue 5, 1213-1225, 2017.
- J. F. Yu, and L. Zhang, Reversible Pattern Transformation of Paramagnetic Nanoparticle Swarms in Bio-fluids with High Ionic Strength, IEEE/ASME Transactions on Mechatronics, Vol. 24, Issue 1, 154-163, 2019. (Finalist for 2020 TMECH Best Paper Award)
- J. F. Yu, Q. Q. Wang, M. Z. Li , C. Liu, L. D. Wang, T. T. Xu, L. Zhang, Characterizing Nanoparticle Swarms with Tuneable Concentrations for Enhanced Imaging Contrast, IEEE Robotics and Automation Letters, Vol. 4, Issue 3, 2942-2949, 2019.
- D.D. Jin*, J. F. Yu*, K. Yuan, L. Zhang, Mimicking the structure and function of ant bridge in reconfigurable microswarm for electronic applications, ACS Nano, Vol. 13, Issue 5, 5999-6007, 2019.
- X. Yan, Q. Zhou, M. Vincent, Y. Deng, J. F. Yu, J. Xu, T. Xu, T. Tang, L. Bian, Y. Wang, K. Kostarelos, L. Zhang, Multifunctional biohybrid magnetite microrobots for imaging-guided therapy, Science Robotics, Vol. 2, Issue 12, eaaq1155, 2017.
- L. D. Yang, J. F. Yu, L. Zhang, Statistics-based automated control for a swarm of paramagnetic nanoparticles in 2D space, IEEE Transactions on Robotics, 2019, accepted.
- X. Wang, J. H. Law, M. X. Luo, Z. Y. Gong, J. F. Yu, W. T. Tang, Z. R. Zhang, X. T. Mei, Z. J. Huang, L. D. You and Y. Sun, Magnetic Measurement and Stimulation of Cellular and Intracellular Structures, ACS Nano, 14 (4), 3805-3821, 2020.
- T. T. Xu, J. F. Yu, C. I. Vong, B. Wang, X. Y. Wu, L. Zhang, Dynamic morphology and swimming properties of rotating miniature swimmers with soft tails, IEEE/ASME Transactions on Mechatronics, Vol. 24, Issue 3, 924-934, 2019.
Selected Conference Publications:
- J. F. Yu and L. Zhang, Reconfigurable Colloidal Microrobotic Swarm for Targeted Delivery, IEEE Ubiquitous Robots 2019 (UR 2019), 615 - 616.
- J. F. Yu, D. D. Jin, L. Zhang, Mobile Magnetic Nanoparticle-based Vortex for Targeted Cargo Delivery in Fluid, IEEE International Conference on Robotics and Automation (ICRA 2017), 6594 - 6599.
- J. F. Yu, L. Zhang, Paramagnetic Nanoparticle-based Vortex: Generation, Mobility and Micromanipulation, IEEE NANO 2017, 293 - 296.
- J. F. Yu, H. B. Yu, T. T. Xu and L. Zhang. Magnetic Control of AMB-1 Magnetotactic Bacteria for Micromanipulation, IEEE International Conference on Automation Science and Engineering (CASE 2015), 1614-1619.
- L. D. Yang, J. F. Yu, and L. Zhang, A Mobile Paramagnetic Nanoparticle Swarm with Automatic Shape Deformation Control, IEEE International Conference on Robotics and Automation (ICRA 2020), accepted.
- Q. Q. Wang, B. Wang, J. F. Yu, K. Schweizer, B. J. Nelson, and L. Zhang, Reconfigurable Magnetic Microswarm for Thrombolysis under Ultrasound Imaging, IEEE International Conference on Robotics and Automation (ICRA 2020), accepted.
- Q. W. Chao, J. F. Yu, T. T. Xu, L. Zhang, C. L. Wang, X. G. Jin, Steering Micro-Robotic Swarm by Dynamic Actuating Fields, IEEE International Conference on Robotics and Automation (ICRA 2016), 5230-5235.